Girl Child Network Sierra Leone
- Postal Address *: 68 Bia Bureh Road Kissy, Texaco Freetown Sierra Leone
- Office Location: 68 Bia Bureh Road Kissy, Texaco Freetown Sierra Leone
- Region *: Bombali District
- Country *: Sierra Leone
- City *: Makeni
- Telephone *: +23278781444
- Fax :
- Email *: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website *: http://gcn-sierraleone.org/
- Vision *: GCN envisage a society where girls are empowered and enjoy their rights with support from whole communities so as to walk in the fullness of their potential. GCN mobilizes whole communities to eradicate patriarchal structures that dominate homes, schools, and communities so as to support and develop an enabling environment to promote and protect the rights of the girl child. GCN ensures girls at risk and most vulnerable to abuse are rescued and empowered to speak out and through provision of safe shelter, training and strong referral to legal and medical aid stand up to defend their rights. GCN also support girls to stay in school and ensure a violent free home, school and community environment so that girls get maximum benefits from education.
- Mission *: We support and promote holistic empowerment of girls in the home, school and community and build platforms to advance their right and freedom so that they reach their full potential. GCN was established in 1998 out of the helplessness and hopelessness of the girl child in Zimbabwe with the view to assisting girls in their quest for emancipation. Anita Koroma and team decided to replicate GCNW girls empowerment model in Sierra Leone in 2011 in order to address the current trend of teenage pregnancy, sexual abuse, education/career pathway, sexual reproductive health(Menstrual Hygiene), early sex and marriage, child abuse and right, Confidence-building and non-achieving life of the girls to create renewed impetus to push Sierra Leone forward. We also provide an opportunity for sustainable partnerships with other stakeholders in addressing the issues affecting the girl child in Sierra Leone. The efforts that have been initiated and implemented by GCN must be pursued with more vigor and determination.
- Thematic Areas *: Health Provision / Soins de Santé,Community Development / Développement Communautaire
- Target Group: Community / Communauté
- Key Objectives *: – To protect and promote the rights of the girl child and to support the economic, political, social and cultural empowerment of the girl child in order for her to assert those rights. – Support individual transformation of girls through capacity building training in gender, HIV and AIDS, human rights, leadership and confidence building. – Ensure laws and policies that promote the reproductive, economic, social and political rights for girls are in place and fully implemented so as to minimize gender based violence. – Advocate and Lobby for total elimination of harmful cultural practices that impede the full development of the girl child – Support girl child survivors of gender based violence and girls at risk through emergency rescue operations, provision of emergency safe shelter and referral to legal and medical aid and counselling services in partnership with other stakeholders so that the girl child realises her full potential. – Support and promote girls’ access to education through the provision of school fees, sanitary ware, panties, exercise books and other basic needs to the orphaned and vulnerable girls.
- Core Competencies *: Advocacy / Plaidoyer,Policy Influencing / Influence des Politiques ,Knowledge Management / Gestion des Connaissances
- Government Engagement:
- Major or Current Achievements *: We are working with over 5,000 adolescent girls through our Girls Empowerment Clubs which are established in schools across Bombali district, Portloko district and western area. As well, we have established Community Clubs for adolescent girls which is currently supporting 2000 girls in their communities through creating space for girls to be able to meet and discuss issues that affects them. We also are working with women’s group to create Community Village Saving Schemes to economically empower women through agriculture. GCNSL is the leading organization on Menstrual Hygiene Management training, advocacy and producer in Sierra Leone (reusable sanitary pads). We have trained over 5,000 people and have reached over 50,000 adolescent girls in Sierra Leone by providing them with information about menstrual hygiene and distributing reusable sanitary pads which are locally produced through several projects with UNICEF.
- Functional Board *:
- Number of Board Members *: 5
- List Expertise of Board Members *: Management, Finance and Strategic business planning
- Organisational Strategic Plan *:
- Head of Organisation *: Anita Koroma
- Name of Contact Person *: Anita Koroma
- Position of Contact Person *: Country Director
- Number of Staff *: 7
- Number of Males *: 2
- Number of Females *: 5